You can start your life as a active citizen by taking one or more of the following actions. More may be better. You can find a couple that are truly easy (pizy).
- What an active citizen can do to help his/her school district, town, city, state. You might start at a local library.
- Learning a little more than just a little about your county government.
- Keeping politically humble, curious, and modest.
- Making an opportunity to attend a couple of meetings of civic organizations.
- Joining a political party.It is OK to change parties.
- Registering to vote. It can be more interesting to register as a party member.
- Getting a better understanding of an issue, a policy, a plank, or a specific bill.
- Contacting the office of a specific office holder and asking what his or her position is on your issue of interest.
- Calling the U.S. Capitol switchboard and telling them your zip code. They will transfer you to your Representative. Tell your Representative representative what is on your mind: ask your question or say what it is you want of him.
- Writing to the office of your Senator. Check on line to see how to spell his name. Address your letter to him in care of the United States Senate, Washing DC 20515.
- Writing to your Congressman/Representative by name at the United States House of Representatives, Washington DC 20515.
- Sitting quietly foe awhile and letting what you have learned work itself around in your mind. You may be be beginning to cook a bit politically.
- Remembering that nobody has to be a politician all the time.
- Finding a finding a friend who seems to be politically knowledgeable or civically interested. Talk civics or issues of governance and like that.
- Attending meetings of your city council or of your local school board. You ca just watch.
- Keeping your sense of humor and having some fun as you remember that political often have seriously important consequences.
Thanks for reading citizen! If you are a citizen of Moldova, Bolivia, or elsewhere you can find some useful actions above. You can use the translation tool in the left hand column.
by Richard Sheehan
for Mago Bill